United Airlines will continue with the Economy Plus® seating arrangement on its flights. There had been apprehension over the future of these seats right since the merger plan was announced between United Airlines and Continental Airlines. However, it has emerged that United will not only retain these seats, but even install them aboard the aircrafts of Continental Airlines, which is projected to take effect from 2012. As of now, travellers can go ahead and buy a ticket with United for the spacious and comfortable Economy Plus seats.
Features of Economy Plus Section and Future Plans
The Economy Plus seats of United Airlines are very popular with passengers who seek cheap flights with the airline. These seats which are a feature of the airline’s cheap Economy Plus section are more spacious and comfortable.
- United introduced Economy Plus seats aboard its flights in 1999. These seats increase legroom space by up to 5 inches.
- Elite class Mileage Plus® members of United and OnePass® elite members of Continental do not have to pay extra charges and can avail the benefit on all flights offering Economy Plus seating.
- Right now, there is no Economy Plus seating option with Continental, but the airline will be refurbished with an Economy Plus class in the future. However, Continental does offer its own version of extra legroom seats.
- Presently, United passengers can also enjoy the Economy Plus benefits on their cheap flights with over 150 larger regional jets of United Express®. In fact, all the 359 mainline aircrafts of United are equipped with these seats and these seats are complimentary for Mileage Plus and OnePass Frequent Flyer members.
- Economy Plus can be availed while buying tickets, at the airport, during check in, and while viewing reservations through the ‘My Reservations’ section of United’s website.
- United has voiced plans to introduce Economy Plus on more than 700 mainline aircrafts, including Continental’s mainline aircrafts and the larger regional aircrafts. Once this multi year plan takes shape, United will have 40,000 Economy Plus seats, which translates as 122,000 Economy Plus seats everyday for passengers booking their tickets with United. Presently, no airline has this capacity.
What Experts Say
Mr Jim Compton, the chief revenue officer of United Continental Holdings, commented upon the occasion in the words, ‘Our customers value Economy Plus and the additional personal space that it provides’. He further said, ‘customers who sit in Economy Plus are significantly more satisfied with their travel experience, as are travelers who choose other options that enable them to tailor their travel to their liking’. Industry experts feel that United’s decision to retain Economy Plus shows that the airline is dedicated towards offering a customised travel experience and creative choices to its passengers.